One Hundred!

A couple of weeks ago, I attended a  Project 71 event to celebrate one of the veteran’s 100 th birthday.   Derrick was a fighter pilot in the RAF in WW2 and you can read his amazing story here .   Derrick’s sight is failing so I wanted to make a card with lots of texture and some movement so I decided on a variation of the squirrel wiper card from last month. For the card base, I cut two rectangles 5¾” x 7¼” and scored each of them at 5¾” and 6½”.   I also cut a piece of acetate 1¼” x 3¾” for the mechanism, scored a line ½” from the side and bottom edge and attached some strong double-sided tape to the triangle. Next, I made the decorative element to attach to the wiper.   I used Visible Image Birthday Balloons and stamped and die-cut ‘100’.   These number were glued onto a rectangle of blue foil card.   The square of foil was to be the mat layer for the card so I ‘gutted’ it to provide the rectangle for the numbers, saving on materials. To build the card, I placed the card fr

Shake It All About

My DT blog post today features a card I made for our godson’s 3 rd birthday.   I like to make interactive cards for him and made this one a shaker card with a surprise pop-up inside. For the background, I made an inky panel using Distress Spray Stains in Mustard Seed, Broken China and Twisted Citron.   Once dry, I white heat-embossed the Grunge Birthday Words   stamp all over and trimmed to 5¼” square. For the shaker elements, I used the no.3 from Birthday Balloons stamps and dies.   For speedy stamping, I die-cut lots of threes from white card.   I die-cut a three from the centre of a larger piece of scrap card and put this in my MISTI.   I positioned the stamp in the aperture and picked it up with the lid and then added each die-cut and stamped the 3. Using a square die, I cut the background to form a frame for the shaker.   The frame was taped onto a square of blue card to centralise it, then the background was glued into the centre. A sheet of acetate was glued to the

Mellow Yellow

  This week’s card is the one I made to accompany my Visible Image ATC swap for April, which had the theme ‘Mellow Yellow’.   You could use only shades of yellow plus black and white.   I had seen some glorious yellow tulips in a garden locally so I opted to use the Sketched Tulips stamp set. Using masking paper, I stamped and fussy cut the tulip flower and then stamped and clear heat-embossed the first row of tulips. I continued to replace the masking paper and stamped and heat-embossed multiple tulips over the bottom of the panel and finally added a bee from Bee Happy. For a hint of sun, I blended Scattered Straw Distress Ink through the Strobes stencil, fading out as it reached the flowers.  The tulips were coloured using Copic markers.   I like to clear heat-emboss the stamping as then I don’t have to worry about using alcohol-friendly ink. To finish the card, I partially stamped the text from the set and added a few dots with a yellow Posca pen and black fineliner.