Showing posts from April, 2024

Framed Peonies

For this week’s card, I dug out another of my unused winnings from the Cardmaker 2022 competition, this one called Peonies Framed by Colorado Craft Company.   Rather than colouring the stamps directly, I decided to use vellum and here’s how I did it. To begin, I stamped the frame on vellum using Versamark ink and added white embossing powder to one and gold to the other and heat-set them. For easy colouring, I used my Sharpie markers to colour on the reverse side of the vellum.   Sharpies aren’t usually blendable but since ink takes a while to dry on vellum, you can do a little blending.   Colouring on the reverse side also means that you don’t have to be super careful about not going onto the lines. The obvious problem with vellum is the attaching to the card blank so I cut a white panel and folded the edges of the vellum around and adhered them to the back with double-sided tape. I added the birthday sentiment from the set onto the gold card and added a green mat layer be

One Hundred!

A couple of weeks ago, I attended a  Project 71 event to celebrate one of the veteran’s 100 th birthday.   Derrick was a fighter pilot in the RAF in WW2 and you can read his amazing story here .   Derrick’s sight is failing so I wanted to make a card with lots of texture and some movement so I decided on a variation of the squirrel wiper card from last month. For the card base, I cut two rectangles 5¾” x 7¼” and scored each of them at 5¾” and 6½”.   I also cut a piece of acetate 1¼” x 3¾” for the mechanism, scored a line ½” from the side and bottom edge and attached some strong double-sided tape to the triangle. Next, I made the decorative element to attach to the wiper.   I used Visible Image Birthday Balloons and stamped and die-cut ‘100’.   These number were glued onto a rectangle of blue foil card.   The square of foil was to be the mat layer for the card so I ‘gutted’ it to provide the rectangle for the numbers, saving on materials. To build the card, I placed the card fr

Shake It All About

My DT blog post today features a card I made for our godson’s 3 rd birthday.   I like to make interactive cards for him and made this one a shaker card with a surprise pop-up inside. For the background, I made an inky panel using Distress Spray Stains in Mustard Seed, Broken China and Twisted Citron.   Once dry, I white heat-embossed the Grunge Birthday Words   stamp all over and trimmed to 5¼” square. For the shaker elements, I used the no.3 from Birthday Balloons stamps and dies.   For speedy stamping, I die-cut lots of threes from white card.   I die-cut a three from the centre of a larger piece of scrap card and put this in my MISTI.   I positioned the stamp in the aperture and picked it up with the lid and then added each die-cut and stamped the 3. Using a square die, I cut the background to form a frame for the shaker.   The frame was taped onto a square of blue card to centralise it, then the background was glued into the centre. A sheet of acetate was glued to the