One Hundred!

A couple of weeks ago, I attended a Project 71 event to celebrate one of the veteran’s 100th birthday.  Derrick was a fighter pilot in the RAF in WW2 and you can read his amazing story here.  Derrick’s sight is failing so I wanted to make a card with lots of texture and some movement so I decided on a variation of the squirrel wiper card from last month.

For the card base, I cut two rectangles 5¾” x 7¼” and scored each of them at 5¾” and 6½”.  I also cut a piece of acetate 1¼” x 3¾” for the mechanism, scored a line ½” from the side and bottom edge and attached some strong double-sided tape to the triangle.

Next, I made the decorative element to attach to the wiper.  I used Visible Image Birthday Balloons and stamped and die-cut ‘100’.  These number were glued onto a rectangle of blue foil card.  The square of foil was to be the mat layer for the card so I ‘gutted’ it to provide the rectangle for the numbers, saving on materials.

To build the card, I placed the card front face down, with the scored sections on the left.  After adhering the numbered rectangle onto the acetate, the triangular section was folded back, the backing tape removed and the side section folded over onto the tape.

The front and back sections of the card base were attached together by adhering the outer ¾” scored section to the edge of the large section, with the wiper element sandwiched in between, as shown below.

To decorate the front of the card, I applied Nuvo Embellishment Mousse in High Tide Blue through the Visible Image Drizzle stencil and set aside to dry.  Meanwhile, I stamped and clear heat-embossed the large cake from Blow Out The Candles and coloured with alcohol markers.  For extra texture, I added Star Dust Stickles to the icing and Cosmic Shimmer Fluffy stuff for the cream.  I also stamped and die-cut a selection of candles.

The sentiments were stamped using Twilight Versafine Clair and trimmed into a rectangle and backed onto more blue foil card.

To finish the card, the cake, candles and sentiments were attached to the stencilled panel using foam tape. 

The two scored side sections were decorated with some strips of blue foil card. 

And here’s the card in action.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

12 Days of Christmas Ornaments

Twist 'n' Pop

Festive Floating Window