The Great British Music Room!

 

You may have seen our jazzy music room wall behind our parents in the Christmas Carol Evening blog post. When it came to decorating our music room, so called because it houses all our musical instruments including Mr. L's kazoo (!), we decided on a red, white and blue theme. Now nothing is more red, white and blue themed than the Union Jack or Union Flag (I’m never sure what we’re supposed to call it) so that seemed a good starting point. I thought the whole flag would be too much so decided on just a quarter of what would have been a HUGE flag.  It’s quite tricky to draw the Union Jack and have it look right so Google came to my aid and I found out what the ratios should be.

The cross of St. George is red and is one fifth the flag’s height.  The white border is one fifteenth of the height.

The saltires of St. Andrew and St. Patrick are intertwined, with the St. Andrew cross being one fifth the flag’s height.  This is then divided into 6 and then two of the six bits are allocated to the St. Patrick cross.  Confused yet???  Luckily there was this handy diagram to help me out!

 Image courtesy of wikipedia

The wall was already painted white so I drew the dimensions on the wall in pencil and then masked off the red and blue areas.

We had a corner sofa in the room which didn’t work with the other furniture in the room.  Basically, it had one too many seats! I decided that we could chop it down and make it a straight sofa instead – like you do.  Well it was almost a situation where I’d bitten off more that I could chew so I roped in Mr. L to help me out.  I have to stress that this is not for the faint hearted and could have gone very badly and expensively wrong.  Lots of head scratching ensued but, in the end, we rebuilt the sofa into the size we wanted.

I completed the look by changing the ‘feature’ cushions from a turquoise floral fabric to a nautical stripe fabric, which I had treated with fire retardant spray.

 

And so The Great British Music Room was born!

 

 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

12 Days of Christmas Ornaments

Twist 'n' Pop

Festive Floating Window