One For The Books


This card was a commission from a friend for a card for his wife.  The brief was “she likes books”.  I don’t have any stamp sets or dies featuring books and, whilst there are some available, the cost was rather high just to make one card.  My drawing skills are minimal but I figured I could draw a few books since they’re basically just rectangles so I set about sketching a doodle-style bookcase, adding a few stamps that were the appropriate size.

After this sketch was approved by my friend, I started on the proper version.  I wanted to watercolour the images so drew out the shelves on watercolour paper and stamped the various images in place using Versafine Clair ink, which is waterproof.

Using a waterproof fineliner, I then drew in the books.

Once the drawing was complete, I pulled out my paints and spent a pleasant half hour adding some colour to the images.

For the central focal panel, I had planned to use the Cricut to cut out some book shapes however I couldn’t get any svg files that I liked so I drew more books instead topped with a mug sporting the recipient’s initial.  The sentiment was printed using my printer.

The feature elements of the panel were cut using my Cricut.  I even ‘glazed’ the glasses using some acetate!

I added some small images to the envelope and the inside panel of the card.

Each panel was mounted onto a black mat and then onto a 8” x 8” card blank. 

I really enjoyed the challenge of creating this card and was pleased with the finished item.

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

12 Days of Christmas Ornaments

Twist 'n' Pop

Festive Floating Window