Count The Good Times

My card this week was a commission from a lovely lady who wanted a special card for her Mum’s 90th birthday.  The brief was food, fireworks and celebrations!  For the food element, I used Visible Image’s Blow Out The Candles stamp set.

At first, I stamped just one cake but I thought it looked a bit meagre for a celebration cake so I got out my stamping platform and did some partial stamping and masking to create a 3-tier cake, drawing in the centres and bottom edges with a fine liner.

I coloured the cake with Copic markers before fussy cutting along the lines and then I went around the edge with a black Sharpie.  To make the cake even more celebratory, I added Nuvo glitter drops all over the icing for some sparkle.

Next, for the background.  The fireworks were created using the Paper Rose Fireworks stencil and a combination of Distress Oxides in Picked Raspberry, Salty Ocean and Mustard Seed.

Since this was a very special card, I thought a slider card would add some extra wow!  After watching a couple of YouTube tutorials, I set about making the mechanism.  I tried to use some clear packaging for the slider but it was too rigid so I used a section of thin carrier bag instead, which worked well.  Since I wanted the fireworks to be visible behind the ‘90’, I mounted the numbers on a piece of acetate.

After stamping ‘Happy Birthday’ repeatedly over the fireworks, the assembly of the card began.  I attached the mechanism with some foam tape along the side, to allow the acetate and numbers some room to move.  It was at this stage that I realised that the pull tab needed to be longer so had to do a little modification!

For a base for the cake, I thought a gingham tablecloth would be lovely so I used the Stampin’ Up! Buffalo Plaid stamp for that.  The tablecloth also gave me the space to put ‘MUM’ which I cut using Julie Hickey Sweet Pea Alphabet dies and I punched a semi-circle from the bottom edge so that the pull tab could be accessed.  The cake was attached to the top and then the whole piece was attached using a double layer of foam tape. The cake was decorated with fussy-cut candles and the card embellised with some enamel stars and hearts.

The card with the slider pulled...

Here's the card in action!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

12 Days of Christmas Ornaments

Twist 'n' Pop

Festive Floating Window