Creative Cans

One of my fellow Visible Image DT members, Jane, recently showed her upcycled storage cans which she had decorated with stamps.  My blending brushes were stored in a motley collection of jars and cardboard boxes so I decided to revamp their storage following Jane’s lead.

My cans were Heinz tomato soup, but I think they’re mostly the same size.  I cut some 160gsm paper to 4” x 9⅛” and went through my VI collection of stamps to find suitable ones to use.  Most of them, as it transpires!! Well, I’ll need more cans so that’s not a problem!  To start, I made the backgrounds for my wraps.  Fearless Tiger was going to feature on the first can so I opted for a background of yellows and orange.

To give a stripy texture that wasn’t actually stripes, I used one of my favourite stencils, Graffiti, and stencilled with orange and red.  The card was quite wet then so I set it aside to dry and started on wrap #2.

For this can, I was going for an underwater theme so blended Peacock Feathers and Salty Ocean in waves before spattering with clean water and letting the Distress Oxides do their thing.

Next, I used stamps from Dare To Swim to stamp the fish and seaweed before positioning the jellyfish plus the seahorse (from VI Minis #1) in my Misti. 

They were stamped with Versafine Clair Twilight and clear embossing powder added and heat set.  I added a bit of shimmer to the jellyfish with clear Wink of Stella on the body and Nuvo Shimmer pen Burnt Sienna on the tentacles.

Some bubbles were embossed in clear but for the final pop of colour, I used the tree (minis #1) as coral, stamped with Versamark and added Tonic Coral embossing powder.  The sentiment is from Brighten The World and was heat embossed in copper.

Now, back to wrap #1.  The tiger was stamped with Versadine Clair Nocturne and heat set with clear embossing powder.  The sentiment was heat embossed in copper.

Finally, the wraps were glued to the cans so they can sit proudly on my desk and provide creative inspiration.


 


Comments

  1. These look fab Lorraine, thanks for the shout out and using my tins for your inspiration. Yes I have used soup tins..but usually they are tinned tomatoes as we use those lots!! I agree that all the VI stamps work so well on them and I have made so many over the years. They brighten up my craft space too. Enjoy your new storage tins xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

12 Days of Christmas Ornaments

Twist 'n' Pop

Festive Floating Window