Too Many Candles

 

Late September and early October is a busy few weeks for birthdays for me (my own included!) and this year there were two big birthdays thrown into the mix; my sister's 50th (last week's post) and my friend’s 60th.  This card idea had popped up on my Facebook feed as an Etsy advert so I dug out my Cricut and attempted to make my own version.

To begin, I got a free SVG download of a birthday candle and imported it into Cricut’s Design Space, where I manipulated it and created background layers to mount the candles on.  I then dug out some coordinating patterned papers and set the Cricut busy cutting.

I had designed 6 strips of 10 candles and had decided to stick the candles onto both sides so there were a lot of cut outs!  The next step of gluing all the bits in place turned out to be quite arduous and I was starting to regret my decision to make this.

However, once I stuck the sections together, I was glad that I’d persevered as I could see that it was going to look great when completed.

To make the front panel, I repeat stamped the ‘Happy Birthday’ stamp from MFT’s Make A Wish stamp set and added a die-cut ‘60’ on top, cut from the same gold glitter card that I matted on the front.

On the inside of the back, I used one of my favourite sentiments, which would be visible above the plethora of candles.

The final job was to attach the candle accordion to the front and back panels.

I like that this design is versatile and can be adapted for any ‘big’ birthday but I think in future, I would only stick the candles onto the front sides, thereby halving the work!

 


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

12 Days of Christmas Ornaments

Twist 'n' Pop

Festive Floating Window