Shibori Shenanigans
Several members of the Solent Textile Group have been running workshops over the past few months. It’s been a great way to learn about new crafts and techniques. Last week’s workshop was hosted by Chris, (the Group’s “Chair”) giving us an introduction to Shibori and indigo dyeing. Mr L asked me the evening before what Shibori was and I had to fess up that I had no idea! It is a traditional Japanese resist dyeing technique where the resist is formed by stitching, folding, binding or clamping cloth to prevent dye from reaching certain areas. I did take notes but any errors in the spelling or techniques are all my own.
Chris started with an introduction and demonstration of three types of stitch pattern; nui, ori-nui and maki-nui together with two knots, quilter’s and surgeon’s, that we would use at the start and end of each line of stitching. We had been asked to bring a small piece of cotton fabric to practice so after drawing lines, we started stitching.
Next, we were introduced to maki-age where a shape is drawn around and stitched. The little scrap of fabric is a blocker to help the knot not be drawn through the fabric when the stitches are tightened.
Then the stitches are drawn up and the bunched fabric is bound tightly to make a unicorn horn! The thread was secured using a third knot called kamosage.
The rows of stitches were drawn up tightly and secured. This is what my practice piece of fabric looked like after all the gathering.
Chris then provided us with a tote bag to decorate. I drew out my design, trying to use all the techniques that Chris had taught us. I was aiming for dandelion seed heads but unfortunately, I totally forgot to fold the fabric across the top of the design and stitch through both layers. I only remembered as I was almost finished dyeing, when it was too late!
I added an extra element at the top which was a wrapped baking bean. This is the bag once all the threads had been cinched.
After lunch, we went out to get dyeing. I had no idea that indigo dyeing was so technical and was a little bamboozled when Chris explained pH, oxygen levels and timings. Fortunately, she schooled us well and timed the dunkings.
We did 5 dips into the indigo bath with each piece, massaging the fabric to get the dye into all the nooks and crannies, allowing them to oxidise between each dip. These are our finished makes, all pretty and unique.
This is my finished practice piece once it had been rinsed, washed, dried and ironed. I love my rows of x-ray dinosaur teeth but the hexagon maki-age is my favourite.
Here’s my bag with flowers, not dandelion heads!
I had such an enjoyable time learning about Shibori and I would like to try the process out again. I’m still to decide what to make with my unique piece of practice fabric.

Comments
Post a Comment